Sunday, June 29, 2008

MYOB?

Usually I'm happy to put on my headphones and ignore my seatmate, but today was a classic it was hard to ignore.

As we're circling in a holding pattern over Newark (which would deserve a rant of its own if it wasn't so commonplace) he says to me: "excuse me is your cell phone turned off?"

Huh? "Yes" I say. He gets all agitated and starts mumbling how they told us several times to turn off our cell phones. So I take out my Blackberry and show him it's off, even pushing a few buttons to show him it's completely off. Instead off shutting him up it prompts him saying something about me having it on the entire flight.

Bizzarro city, especially since I was working on the Sunday paper the whole time and hadn't touched the BB except to turn it on once to check the time (which still leaves the transmit function off as required, since it wouldn't get signal in-flight anyway I don't understand why anyone would intentionally turn it on before landing anyway).

No comments: